Do you have Canadian citizenship?

If you and your spouse or common-law partner are Canadian citizens, you can choose to have your information (your name, date of birth, and address) shared with Elections Canada. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will only share this information with Elections Canada if:

  • You’re a Canadian citizen and 
  • You authorize the CRA to do so by answering Yes to the Elections Canada question on your federal tax return


Why should I share my information with Elections Canada?

Elections Canada uses your information to update the National Register of Electors and places you on the voters’ list. In the event of a federal election or referendum, you’ll receive a voter information card telling you when and where to vote.

Note: Your authorization to share information with Elections Canada remains in effect until you file your next tax return.

Where can I learn more?