Error code 317

You will see the following error message in H&R Block’s tax software if:

  • You indicated that your marital status on December 31, 2017 was either separated or divorced;
  • You told us you reconciled within 90 days of the date of separation;
  • You left the field labelled Date of birth empty on the Your spouse’s personal information page; and
  • You entered transfer amounts on the Amounts from [Spouse]’s 2017 return page:

Since you’re transferring amounts from your spouse or common-law partner, you need to enter his/her date of birth so we can calculate the allowable amounts. [error code: 317]


How do I fix this?

To correct the error, enter your spouse or common-law partner’s date of birth into the designated field of the Your spouse’s personal information page.

Note: You can find the Your spouse’s personal information page on the GET STARTED tab under the ABOUT YOUR SPOUSE icon.