TP-726.6-V: Cumulative Net Investment Loss

If you're a resident of Québec who had investment income or deducted investment expenses after 1987, and you want to figure out your cumulative net investment loss (CNIL), you’ll need to use form TP-726.6-V.

Your CNIL consists of the investment expenses you’ve deducted minus the investment income you’ve earned after 1987.

Keep in mind, your CNIL reduces your cumulative gains limit, which in turn reduces the amount you can claim for capital gains deduction for qualified farm or fishing property, or qualified small business corporation shares. Even if you’re not claiming a capital gains deduction this year, we recommend completing this form so that you can calculate your CNIL and use this amount in the future.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2017 tax software: 

Before you begin, make sure you told us that you lived in Québec on December 31, 2017.

  1. On the PREPARE tab, click the IN THIS SECTION icon.

  2. Under the Investments (shares, securities, property, tax shelters, etc.) you bought or sold in 2017 section, click the Add This button. 

  3. Click the PENSION PLANS AND INVESTMENTS icon. You'll find yourself here:


  4. Select the checkbox labelled Cumulative net investment loss (TP-726.6-V), then click Continue.

  5. When you arrive at the page for your Cumulative net investment loss, enter your information into the tax software.