T3: Statement of Trust Income Allocations and Designations

Your T3: Statement of trust income allocations and designations slip will show the investment income you earned in the form of dividends, interest, and capital gains, from a variety of different sources.  

Typically, however, you won’t receive a T3 slip if the interest earned for the year is less than $50, or if the dividends or capital gains are less than $1.00. Nevertheless, you still have to report these small amounts on your return. For more information, check out the article, Interest or dividend income not shown on a slip.

Note: All taxable gains from the disposition of eligible capital property must be indicated on Schedule 3. If you have management fees related to any of your investment income, enter those amounts on Schedule 4.


Québec residents

In addition to a T3, Québec residents will also receive a Relevé 16: Trust income (RL-16) slip, unless the amounts earned within the trust are below a certain amount (typically less than $100). However, it’s still your responsibility to report these small amounts on your return.


I have income from a communal organization

If you have an amount in box 26 of your T3 slip and you received all or part of this income from a communal organization, you’ll need to report self-employment income and complete the T2125: Statement of business or professional activities page in H&R Block’s tax software.

To add the T2125 page to your return:

  1. On the PREPARE tab, click the IN THIS SECTION icon.

  2. Under Income from self-employment, a business you own, or a profession (lawyer, accountant, etc.) and related expenses (vehicle, advertising, travel, etc.), click the Add This button and choose your province or territory of self-employment.

  3. Click the EMPLOYMENT icon. You’ll find yourself here:


  4. Under the BUSINESS AND SELF-EMPLOYMENT INCOME section, select the checkbox labelled Statement of business or professional services, then click Continue.

  5. When you arrive at the Statement of business or professional services page, enter your information into the tax software.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2017 tax software:

  1. On the QUICK ENTRY tab, click the QUICK SLIP icon. You will find yourself here:


  2. Type T3 in the search field and either click the highlighted selection or press Enter to continue.

  3. When you arrive at the page for your T3, enter your information into the tax software.