RC267: Employee Contributions to a United States Retirement Plan – Temporary Assignments

If you temporarily worked in Canada this year and you continue to participate in a retirement plan offered to you by your employer in the United States (such as a 401(k) plan), you might be able to deduct your contributions to the U.S. plan on your Canadian tax return using form RC267.

Note: If you’re completing the RC267 page of H&R Block’s tax software, and you also need to file a RC268 and/or an RC269, you won't be able to NETFILE your return. Instead, you’ll need to file a paper copy of your return.

Am I eligible to deduct my contributions?

In order to deduct your contributions to your U.S. retirement plan on your Canadian tax return, you must meet all of the following conditions:

  • The salary or wages you received as an employee in Canada is taxable in Canada
  • Before working in Canada, you weren’t a Canadian resident and you had a U.S. retirement plan
  • Your contributions were a result of being employed in Canada, and were made while working here
  • You weren’t gathering benefits or contributing to a registered pension plan, deferred profit-sharing plan, or registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) in Canada while working here
  • You haven’t worked in Canada for the same employer (or a related employer) for more than 60 of the 120 months before the tax year

Note: If your contributions were made while you were working in the U.S., you’ll need to report the amount that qualifies for tax relief in the U.S.

Additional Considerations

  • Your resident compensation for 2017 is the total of your salaries, wages, and other amounts from your employer, excluding any amounts that are exempt from income tax in Canada because of the Canada-U.S. tax convention.

Where do I claim this?

  1. Under the PREPARE tab, click the IN THIS SECTION icon.

  2. Under Contributions to a Canadian or foreign retirement or pension plan, like a registered pension plan (RPP), pooled registered pension plan (PRPP), or 401(k), click the Add This button.

  3. Click the PENSION PLANS AND INVESTMENTS icon. You'll find yourself here: 


  4. Under the CONTRIBUTIONS TO A FOREIGN PENSION PLAN heading, select the checkbox labelled, Employee contributions to a United States retirement plan – temporary assignments (RC267), then click Continue.

  5. When you arrive at the page for the RC267, enter your information into the tax software.