RC269: Employee Contributions to a Foreign Pension Plan or Social Security Arrangement for 2017 – Non-United States Plans or Arrangements

If you contributed to a social security arrangement or employer-sponsored pension plan this year in a country other than the United States,  you can calculate a deduction and pension adjustment for your contributions and a 15% tax credit with the RC269: Employee Contributions to a Foreign Pension Plan or Social Security Arrangement for 2017 - Non-United States Plans or Arrangements.

Note: If you’re completing the RC269 page of H&R Block’s tax software, and you also need to file a RC267 and/or an RC268, you can’t NETFILE your return. Instead, you’ll need to file a paper copy of your return.

Am I eligible to deduct my contributions?

Thanks to Canada’s various tax treaties, your pension plan contributions can be recognized if you moved from one country to another for a short period of time, as long as you meet certain conditions. Those conditions are:

  • You were regularly participating in the arrangement before working in Canada

  • Your contributions are attributable to your work in Canada, and were made while you worked here
  • Your employment income is taxable in Canada

  • The period in which you made contributions while temporarily living in Canada is no more than 60 months (48 months for Finland)

  • Your contributions are deductible only in the year they were made and only to the extent that they’d qualify for tax relief in your home country if you had lived and worked there

The Canadian Competent Authority has to agree that social security arrangements correspond to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and that your foreign pension plans correspond to a Canadian registered pension plan (RPP).

Note: You’ll need to enter your resident compensation for the year on the RC269 page. This is the total of your salaries, wages, and other amounts from your employer, excluding any amounts that are exempt from income tax in Canada because of a tax treaty.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2017 tax software:

  1. Under the PREPARE tab, click the IN THIS SECTION icon.

  2. Under Contributions to a Canadian or foreign retirement or pension plan, like a registered pension plan (RPP), pooled registered pension plan (PRPP), or 401(k), click the Add This button.

  3. Click the PENSION PLANS AND INVESTMENTS icon. You'll find yourself here: 


  4. Under the CONTRIBUTIONS TO A FOREIGN PENSION PLAN heading, select the checkbox labelled Employee contributions to a foreign pension plan or social security arrangement (RC269), then click Continue.

  5. When you arrive at the page for RC269, enter your information into the tax software.