All other deductions not entered anywhere else on your return

If you have other deductions that you’d like to claim and you haven’t entered them anywhere else on your return, you can claim them on the All other deductions page of H&R Block’s tax software. These deductions can include any of the following amounts:

I’ve taken a vow of poverty and I’ve given some of my income to a religious order

If you’ve taken a vow of perpetual poverty as a member of a religious order, you can claim a deduction for the amount of earned income* and pension benefits you’ve given to the order.

For the purposes of this deduction, earned income can include any of the following:

  • Salaries and wages
  • Scholarships, bursaries, and research grants

Note: Earned income doesn’t include any investment income you might have -received during the year (interest, dividends, etc.)

For more information, refer to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website.

I received adult basic education tuition assistance

If you received taxable tuition assistance so that you could enroll in a course at a post-secondary institution to develop or improve skills in an occupation certified by Employment and Social Development Canada, you’ll need to claim the amount shown in:

  • box 21 of your paper T4E slip and
  • box 196 of your paper T4A slip that’s more than the scholarship exemption amount you’re entitled to claim

Note: You only need to enter these amounts here if you didn’t report them when entering the information from your T4E or T4A slip on the QUICK SLIP page of the QUICK ENTRY tab.

I earned exempt foreign income

If you reported foreign income that’s exempt from taxation due to a tax treaty between Canada and the source nation, you can claim a deduction for it. If you’re unsure if the foreign income you received in 2017 is tax exempt, speak to the CRA  before claiming the deduction.

For more information on exempt foreign income, refer to the CRA website.

Note: You only need to enter this amount here if you didn’t report it on the T2209 page of H&R Block’s tax software.

Claiming the provincial labour-sponsored funds tax credit

Important: Effective 2017, you can no longer claim the federal labour-sponsored funds tax credit for your shares.

If you’re claiming the provincial labour-sponsored funds tax credit you’ll need to enter the provincial tax credit amount shown on the paper T2C slip you received.

Where do I claim these deductions?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2017 tax software:

  1.  Under the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon. You’ll find yourself here: 


  2. Under the MISCELLANEOUS heading, select the checkbox labelled All other deductions then click Continue.

  3. When you arrive at the All other deductions page, enter your information into the tax software.