Seniors and Healthy Homes – Home Renovation Credits

Important: As of 2017, the Ontario healthy homes renovation tax credit has been eliminated.

If you’re 65 years of age or older (or are a family member that lives with a senior) and a resident of British Columbia or New Brunswick, you can claim a refundable tax credit for renovating your home to make it more safe and accessible.

In order to claim this tax credit, you or someone on your behalf must have paid for the renovations that were made to your principal residence. The main purpose of the renovation must be to:

  • Improve access to the home or land (such as wheelchair ramps or elevators)
  • Improve mobility and functions within the home or land (such as wheel-in showers, walk-in bathtubs, adjustable counters/cupboards)
  • Reduce the risk of harm within the home or land (such as non-slip floors and handrails in corridors, motion-activated lighting)

Renovations done to increase the value of the home are not eligible; services (like housekeeping) and devices (like wheelchairs or walkers) also don’t qualify for this tax credit.

Note: As of 2016, British Columbia’s home renovation tax credit for seniors has been extended to persons with disabilities and family members who live with them. If you’re a resident of British Columbia and qualify for the disability tax credit, you’re eligible for this tax credit. If you don't qualify for the disability tax credit because you pay for an attendant or care in a nursing  home, you might still be eligible.

How much can I claim?

You can claim up to $10,000 per year in eligible expenses and can split the tax credit amount with other members of your household, as long as the combined claim amount  doesn’t exceed $10,000.

Note: If you and your spouse or common-law partner lived in separate homes due to medical reasons, you can both claim up to $10,000 in eligible expenses.

Your credit amount depends on the province you live in. For more information on your province’s home renovation tax credit, click the links below.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2017 tax software:

Before you begin, make sure you told us you lived in either British Columbia or New Brunswick on December 31, 2017.

  1. Under the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon. You’ll find yourself here:


  2. Under the MISCELLANEOUS heading, select the checkbox for your provincial seniors’ home renovation tax credit.

  3. When you arrive at the page for the tax credit, enter your information into the tax software.