Ontario benefits – Ontario Trillium Benefit and Ontario Senior Homeowners’ Property Tax Grant

The ON-BEN form is used to claim the Ontario Trillium Benefit (OTB) and Ontario Senior Homeowners’ Property Tax Grant (OSHPTG). Both the OTB and OSHPTG are designed to help low- to moderate-income Ontario residents offset the  cost  of the energy sales tax, property tax, and more.

Note: Check out this link to learn more about if you are eligible for any of the ON-BEN tax credits.

If you’re a resident of Ontario on December 31, and you meet the eligibility requirements for the tax credit, you can use the ON-BEN form to claim the following:

  • ​​​​A tax grant for senior homeowners that helps offset your property taxes (OSHPTG)

  • The rent you paid in the year for your home (including a private long-term care home) or the amount you paid for accommodation in a public long-term care home in Ontario

  • The property tax and home energy costs (such as electricity and heat) you paid in the year for your home in Ontario

  • The Ontario Trillium Benefit entitlement (OTB)

What is the Ontario Trillium Benefit?

The Ontario Trillium Benefit is a refundable tax credit that helps Ontarians with their energy costs and provides relief from sales and property tax. The OTB is made up of three tax credits:

  • Ontario Sales Tax Credit
  • Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit
  • Northern Ontario Energy Credit

Your OTB payments are based on your previous year’s income. If you’re entitled to an annual amount of $360 or more, you can choose to receive the benefit either in monthly payments or get a single payment at the end of the benefit year; otherwise you'll receive a single payment in July. Keep in mind, you won’t receive a payment if your annual OTB amount is $2 or less.

In order to receive the OTB, you’ll need to:

You can claim the Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit if you lived in Ontario on December 31st and:

Note: If you have a spouse or a common-law partner, only one of you can claim the Ontario Energy and Property amount for both of you.

You can claim the Northern Ontario Energy Credit if:

  • You lived in Northern Ontario on December 31

  • At the beginning of the payment month, you’re at least 18 years of age, or have or previously had a spouse, or are a parent who lives or previously lived with your child, and

  • You or someone on your behalf paid:
    • Rent or property tax for your home
    • Accommodation costs for living in a public long-term care home
    • Home energy costs (for example, electricity, heat) for your home on a reserve

You don’t need to apply for the Ontario Sales Tax Credit. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will use the information from your return to see if you’re eligible for this tax credit and inform you accordingly. 

What areas are considered Northern Ontario?

For the purposes of the Northern Ontario Energy Credit, the districts of Algoma, Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Rainy River, Sudbury (including the City of Greater Sudbury), Thunder Bay, and Timiskaming are considered eligible Northern Ontario locations.

What is the Ontario Senior Homeowners’ Property Tax Grant?

You can claim up to $500 in Ontario Senior Homeowners’ Property Tax Grant if:

  • You or your spouse paid Ontario property tax in the previous year

  • You meet the income requirements and

  • As of December 31 of the previous year, you:
    • were 64 years of age or older
    • were a resident of Ontario and
    • owned and lived in your home (or your spouse did)

Note: You might also qualify for the Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit. Refer to the Ontario Trillium Benefit section above for more information.

Where do I claim these benefits?

Note: How you file your return will determine whether or not you’re able to claim these credits. Remember:

  • If you are filing a coupled return with your spouse, and you are both under the age of 64, only one spouse can apply for these credits. The file who wants to apply for the credit(s) should be the one to add it to their return.
  • If you are filing a coupled return with your spouse, and only one of you is over the age of 64 years, that filer is the one who should see and claim the ON-BEN credit(s)  
  • If you are filing a coupled return with your spouse, but you were separated for medical reasons during the tax year, both you and your spouse can apply for the ON-BEN credits  
  • If you’re filing an uncoupled return and you indicated that your spouse is 64 years of age or older, you won’t be able to access the ON-BEN page in your return.  

Before you begin, make sure you tell us you lived in Ontario on December 31, 2017.

  1.  Under the PREPARE tab, click the MOST POPULAR icon. You’ll find yourself here:

    Select the checkbox labelled Ontario trillium benefit and Ontario senior homeowners’ property tax grant (ON-BEN) then click Continue.

  2. When you arrive at the page for the ON-BEN form, answer the questions that apply to you and provide a few details about your principal residence in the designated fields of the tax software.

Note: To save you time, our software doesn’t require you to enter to whom you paid rent or your address, because that information is not required to be transmitted to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) with your tax return. However, if the CRA asks you for this information at a later date, you have to provide it to them by completing and returning the ON-BEN form, on the T1 General - Application for the 2018 Ontario Trillium Benefit and Ontario Senior Homeowners' Property Tax Grant.