TP-1086.R.23.12-V: Costs Incurred for Work on an Immovable

During the year, did you pay to rebuild, renovate, or repair a building, structure, or land in Québec? Did you then use this property to run a business or earn income? If you live and operate this business in Québec, you’ll need to complete a TP-1086.R.23.12-V  to report these expenses.

The TP-1086.R.23.12-V requires you to provide the information of every person or business you hired to  improve or renovate your property. Having said that, you won’t need to include the work done by:

  • An operator of a gas, telecommunications, or electricity distribution network
  • A government body or
  • You or one of your employees

If you don’t file a TP-1086.R.23.12-V with your tax return, you’ll be fined $200 for every person or business you don’t provide information for. Similarly, anyone who doesn’t provide you with the information you need will be fined $500.

Note: If you paid for the work outlined above, you must file a TP-1086.R.23.12-V even if you aren’t required to file a tax return this year.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2017 tax software:

Before you begin, make sure you told us that you lived in Québec on December 31, 2017.

  1. On the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon. You'll find yourself here:


  2. Under the MISCELLANEOUS section, select the checkbox labelled Costs incurred for work on an immovable (TP-1086.R.23.12-V), then click Continue.

  3. When you arrive at the page for Costs incurred for work on an immovable, enter your information into the tax software.