TP-776.42-V: Alternative Minimum Tax

You’ll need to use the TP-776.42-V to find out if you need to pay the alternative minimum tax (AMT) this year, or if you want to claim a deduction for the AMT you might have paid in the past 7 years. The AMT was designed to prevent wealthy residents of Québec from paying little to no income tax through the use of certain preferential tax treatments (like those listed below) requiring them instead to pay a minimum tax.

How do I know if I need to complete form TP-776.42-V?

 You’ll need to complete form TP-776.42-V to determine whether you’ll need to pay minimum tax if:

What is a preferential tax rate?

Preferential tax means that the applied tax rate is better than it would be on a normal salary or interest income.

Tax Tip: If you paid minimum tax in any of the past 7 years but you aren’t subject to the AMT this year, you might be able to claim credits against your 2017 taxes for the taxes you’ve previously paid.

To calculate your federal AMT, complete the T691: Alternative minimum tax.

Note: If you’re a trust, don’t use this form. Instead, use the TP-776.47-V: Alternative minimum tax of a trust.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2017 tax software:

Before you begin, make sure you told us that you lived in Québec on December 31, 2017.

  1. Under the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon. You'll find yourself here:


  2. Under the MISCELLANEOUS heading, select the checkbox labelled Alternative minimum tax (TP-776.42-V), then click Continue.

  3. When you arrive at the page for the Alternative minimum tax, enter your information in the software.