As an employer, if you hired a trainee employee or a recent graduate this year, you might be able to claim the refundable Manitoba Paid Work Experience Credit.
To qualify, you must have paid salary or wages to:
- A co-op student under a qualifying work placement
- A qualifying youth who completed an approved youth work experience training program for employment with a registered employer or
- A qualifying graduate, a qualifying apprentice, or a qualifying journeyperson for a period of qualifying employment that ended in 2017
- Youth work experience hiring incentive
- Co-op student hiring incentive
- Co-op graduate hiring incentive
- Apprentice hiring incentive
- Journeypersons hiring incentive
Where do I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2017 tax software:
Before you begin, make sure you’ve told us that you lived in Manitoba on December 31, 2017.
- Under the PREPARE tab, click the IN THIS SECTION icon.
- Add the option indicating you had income from self-employment and click Continue.
- Click the EMPLOYMENT icon. You'll find yourself here:
- Under the CREDITS AND REBATES heading, select the checkbox labelled Manitoba paid work experience tax credit.
- When you arrive at the page for the Manitoba paid work experience tax credit, enter your information into the tax software.