If you’re an employee or a member of a partnership, you can use the VD-358-V to claim a Québec Sales Tax (QST) rebate on certain work-related expenses you paid in 2017 (like travel, entertainment, and supplies). The VD-358-V is similar to the federal GST370: Employee and partner GST/HST rebate application, which is used to claim a rebate on GST/HST.
You can claim the QST rebate if:
- Your employer or partnership is registered for QST
- Your employer isn’t listed as a financial institution (such as a bank, credit union, an insurer, etc.)
- You paid QST on expenses you’re deducting, like business income, employment expenses, or professional dues
For the QST rebate on professional dues or dues paid to an artists' association, make sure:
- The dues you’ve paid are related to your employment
- The income you’ve earned doesn’t entitle you to the deduction for an Indian or other miscellaneous deductions (refer to point(s) 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12, 14, 18, 19, or 23)
Note: You can’t claim a QST rebate for the personal portion of expenses you paid.
What expenses are eligible for a QST rebate?
There are several types of eligible work-related QST expenses, including:
- Travel expenses (meals, beverages, accommodation, transportation)
- Entertainment expenses (meals and beverages, tickets)
- Cost of supplies (postage, telephone charges, cell-phone charges, internet connection charges)
- Equipment rental cost
- Musical instruments and eligible work tools (maintenance costs, rental cost, purchase price)
- Motor-vehicle expenses (fuel, maintenance and repairs, and leasing cost)
For a complete list of eligible expenses refer to Revenu Québec’s website.
Where do I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block's 2017 tax software:
Before you begin, make sure you told us that you lived in Québec on December 31, 2017.
- On the PREPARE tab, click the IN THIS SECTION icon.
- Click the Add This button under the option indicating that you had employment expenses OR that you had income from self-employment.
- Click the EMPLOYMENT icon. You'll find yourself here:
- Under the CREDITS AND REBATES heading, click the checkbox labelled Québec sales tax rebate for employees and partners (VD-358-V), then click Continue.
- When you arrive at the page for form Québec sales tax rebate for employees and partners, enter your information into the tax software.