Manitoba Primary Caregiver Tax Credit

As a primary caregiver of a spouse, relative, friend, or neighbor who lives at home in Manitoba, you might be able to claim a refundable credit on your return for the help you’ve provided.

People requiring your care must be:

As a primary caregiver:

  • You must live in Manitoba
  • You (or your spouse or common-law partner) must not have been paid for the help you provide
  • You must be designated as a primary caregiver by the care recipient

In order to be designated as a primary caregiver, both you and the person in your care (or their parent, if they’re under 18) need to complete the primary caregiver tax credit application and have it approved by the Regional Health Authority (RHA) or the Manitoba Department of Families. Click here for more information on where to submit your application.

Once your application has been approved, you’ll receive a copy of it (to be kept with your records), the care level equivalency guideline (if required), as well as log sheets. Log sheets are used to document the date you started providing care to the recipient, any interruptions in caregiving, as well as the type(s) of care provided. These must be updated on an on-going basis. If required, you can print additional log sheets by visiting the government of Manitoba’s website.

Note: Starting on April 12, 2017, you will not be able to retroactively claim for years prior to 2017. However, if your primary caregiver application is submitted and approved in 2017 but the credit is not claimed until 2019, you might still be able to claim the credit for 2017 and 2018.

How much can I claim?

You can claim up to a maximum of $1,400 per year for any number of care recipients. Keep in mind, before you can claim the full credit amount, you must have been the primary caregiver for each care recipient for at least 90 days. For example, if you start caring for someone on October 1st, you can claim the full credit as long as you continue caring for them into the new year. If you start later, you’ll only be able to claim part of it. Visit the Manitoba Tax Assistance Office website for more information on eligibility.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block's 2017 tax software:

Before you begin, make sure you tell us that you lived in MANITOBA on December 31, 2017.

  1. On the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon. You'll find yourself here:


  2. Under the SPECIFIC CREDITS FOR YOUR PROVINCE heading, select the checkbox labelled Manitoba primary caregiver tax credit, then click Continue.

  3. When you arrive at the page for the Manitoba primary caregiver tax credit, enter your information into the tax software.