Manitoba School Tax Credit for Homeowners

The Manitoba School Tax Credit for Homeowners is a refundable credit designed to help Manitobans who are paying school tax for their home.

You can claim this credit if you meet the following conditions:

  • You or your spouse or common-law partner were 55 of age or older on December 31
  • Your family income is less than $23,800
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner owns, is buying, or is a life tenant of a principal residence and
  • The assessed school tax for that residence is more than $160 for the year

Note: The person who is claiming the Manitoba education property tax credit must also be the person who claims the school tax credit for homeowners.

If you  own a mobile home, special rules might apply. For more information, contact the Manitoba Tax Assistance Office.

Note: If you’re a tenant, you must apply to Manitoba Family Services directly by contacting the Provincial Services Office, which you can do by one following methods:

  • If you live in Winnipeg, call 204-945-2197
  • If you live outside of Winnipeg, call 1-877-587-6224 or
  • Email:

For more information, see School Tax Assistance for Tenants 55 Plus (STAT 55+).

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2017 tax software:

Before you begin, make sure that you told us you lived in Manitoba on December 31, 2017.

  1. On the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon. You will find yourself here:


  2. Under the SPECIFIC CREDITS FOR YOUR PROVINCE heading, select the checkbox labelled Manitoba school tax credit for homeowners, then click Continue

  3. When you arrive at the page for the Manitoba school tax credit for homeowners, enter your information into the tax software.