Manitoba Education Property Tax Credit

As a Manitoba resident, part of your rent or property tax is put towards funding schools. With the Manitoba education property tax credit (EPTC), you might be able to claim up to $700 either on your municipal property tax statement or through your income tax return for your contribution to the school system.

You can claim this credit if you were a resident of Manitoba at the end of the year and:

  • You paid rent or property tax on your home in Manitoba during the year
  • You paid more than $250 in property taxes or rent
  • You were at least 16 years old at the end of the year

Note: If you have a spouse or a common-law partner, the person who claims the Manitoba school tax credit for homeowners and seniors’ school tax rebate must also be the one to claim the EPTC.

You can’t claim this credit if, during the year, you lived in someone else’s home who for 2017:

  • Will claim you as a dependant
  • Will claim a spousal amount for you, or to whom you’ll transfer your age amount or disability amount or
  • Has received or will receive an education property tax credit

How much can I claim?

If you’re a homeowner, you need to pay the first $250 of property taxes. Anything higher is eligible for the credit up to a maximum of $700. Check your property tax statement to see if you’re already receiving the credit. If you’re not receiving the credit, you can have it applied to your property taxes by completing the Advance application form before November 15. Click here for more information on where to send the application form. After November 15, you can claim the credit on your tax return.

If you rent, you can claim 20% of your rent over $250, up to a maximum of $700 on your tax return.

Additional savings for seniors

If you’re 65 or older at the end of the year, you might qualify for additional savings! For example:

  • If you own and live in your home, you can claim up to an extra $470 with the Senior’s school tax rebate. The amount you can claim depends on your net family income - the rebate is reduced by 2% of net family income that’s over $40,000. A net family income of $63,500 or more is not eligible for the rebate.
  • Seniors with a household income of $40,000 or less, you can claim up to an extra $400 from the EPTC

Note: If you’re eligible for the Senior’s school tax rebate, you no longer need a separate application to claim it. You’ll be able to make retroactive claims for up to three years, but no further back than the 2016 rebate.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2017 tax software:

Before you begin, make sure that you told us that you lived in Manitoba on December 31, 2017:

  1. Under the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER  You'll find yourself here:


  2. Under the SPECIFIC CREDITS FOR YOUR PROVINCE heading, select the checkbox labelled Manitoba education property tax credit.

  3. When you arrive at the page for your Manitoba education property tax credit, enter your information into the tax software.