TP-75.2-V: Employment Expenses of Salaried Tradespeople

As a salaried tradesperson (like a hairdresser, cook, or plumber), you might have purchased tools for use in your trade during the year that you’d like to claim as an expense. You can do this with the TP-75.2-V form. If you’re an apprentice mechanic, there’s an additional deduction that you might be able to claim for your eligible tools by using this form. For more information, check out Revenu Québec’s Employment Expenses Guide.

Note: The TP-75.2-V form is combined with the federal T777TP-59-V, and other related forms in H&R Block’s tax software.

You can deduct the cost of your tools as long as your employment contract says that you’re required to provide your own tools. The tools you purchased must be new and required to complete your work as a salaried tradesperson. It includes ancillary equipment (equipment that helps your main equipment run), like a battery charger.

Note: Electronic devices that are designed for communication or data processing aren’t eligible unless they’re solely meant for measuring, locating, or calculating.

Also, if you deduct the expenses for your trade tools from your income, you might be able to claim a Québec sales tax (QST) rebate.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2017 tax software:

Before you begin, make sure you told us that you lived in Québec on December 31, 2017.

  1. On the PREPARE tab, click the IN THIS SECTION icon.

  2. Under Employment expenses (home office, tools, etc.), credits or deductions related to your job, and employment income that's not show on a slip (tips, royalties, etc.), click the Add This button.

  3. Click the EMPLOYMENT icon. You will find yourself here:


  4. Under the EXPENSES heading, select the checkbox labelled Employment expenses (T777, TP-59-V, TP-78-V, TP-78.4-V, TP-75.2-V, TP-64.3-V), then click Continue.

  5. When you arrive at the page for Employment expenses, select Salaried tradesperson in response to the question, What type of employment did you have in 2017?.

  6. Select Tradesperson from the Go To Page dropdown menu.

  7. Enter your information into the tax software.