Schedule S: Amount Transferred by a Child 18 or Over Enrolled in Post-Secondary Studies

If you were at least 18 years of age, a full-time student, and received an RL-8: Amount for post-secondary studies slip with an amount in box A, you can transfer an amount to one of your parents by using Schedule S to help them lower their Québec tax payable.

Keep in mind, you can only transfer tuition amounts for the current year. Also, only you, the student, needs to file Schedule S with your return – your parent will need to enter the amount you’re transferring to them on Schedule A of their own tax return.

Most of the amounts required to complete Schedule S are automatically calculated when you enter the information from your RL-8 slip into H&R Block’s tax software. However, you will need to indicate the Solidarity tax credit amount you received during the year on the RL-8 page; the amount of this credit lowers the amount you’re allowed to transfer to one of your parents.

Note: If you’re transferring your tuition amount to a parent, you can’t claim any of the tax credits for the work premium.

Where do I claim this?

Before you begin, make sure you tell us you lived in Québec on December 31, 2017. 

If you’re a student looking to complete Schedule S, follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2017 tax software:

  1.  On the QUICK ENTRY tab, click the QUICK SLIP icon. You will find yourself here:


  2. Type RL-8 or relevé 8 in the search field and either click the highlighted selection or press Enter to continue.

  3. When you arrive at the RL-8 page, enter your information into the tax software.


If you’re a parent, follow these steps to enter your dependant’s transferred amount to yourself