Amount for a Person Living Alone (Québec)

If you’re a resident of Québec and you maintain and live in your home*, you might be able to claim the amount for a person living alone to lower your tax payable. To qualify, your net family income must be below the threshold found on Schedule B and you must:

  • Live alone or only with your children under the age of 18 or
  • Live alone or with one or more of your children over 18 who are full-time secondary or post-secondary students

Tax Tip: If you’re a single parent, you might be eligible to receive an additional amount –  click here to find out more.

* For the purposes of this credit, the term home is used to describe a house, apartment, or a similar place of residence where you normally eat and sleep, which has both a bathroom and a kitchen. If you live in a hotel room or a boarding house, you can’t claim this credit.  

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2017 tax software:

Before you begin, make sure that you told us that you lived in Québec on December 31, 2017. You’ll also want to make sure that you’ve told us about any dependants under the age of 18 that live with you, if applicable.

  1. On the PREPARE tab, click the REQUIRED icon.

  2. Click the Special Situations link. You’ll find yourself here: 


  3. Answer Yes to the question As a resident of Québec, would you like to claim the amount for a person living alone?.

Note: H&R Block’s tax software will automatically apply the credit amount (including the additional amount mentioned above, if applicable) based on the information you’ve provided throughout your return.