Interest or dividend income not shown on a slip

As a Canadian taxpayer, including if you are filing a return for Revenu Québec, you need to report your interest, dividend, and investment income not shown on a slip on the Schedule 4 form.  Even if you earned less than $50 from your investments, you still need to report what you earned.

Income earned from these types of investments need to be reported on Schedule 4:

You also need to report interest you received on tax refunds during the year, which you can find on your notice of assessment (NOA) or reassessment. 

Note: If you received income during the year that doesn’t fit into any of the categories listed above (for example, if you received interest on money you loaned to a business), you can enter that income on the Other income earned or received in 2017 page under the OTHER icon on the PREPARE tab.

Where do I claim this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2017 tax software:

  1. On the PREPARE tab, click the IN THIS SECTION icon.

  2. Under Investments (shares, securities, property, tax shelters, etc.), click the Add This button.

  3. Click the PENSION PLANS AND INVESTMENTS icon. You’ll find yourself here:


  4. Under the INVESTMENT INCOME heading, select the checkbox labelled Statement of investment income (Schedule 4).

  5. When you arrive at the page for your Statement of investment income, enter your information into the tax software.