Do you own foreign property worth over $100,000?

As a Canadian resident, you have to report the income you’ve earned from both Canadian and foreign sources. This includes reporting any specified foreign property you held in 2017 that’s worth over $100,000 CAD on the T1135: Foreign Income Verification Statement form.

What’s considered specified foreign property?

According to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), specified foreign property includes:

  • Bank accounts held abroad (interest income)
  • Debt securities and shares of foreign corporations (mutual funds, shares, bonds, or debentures) and debt owed by a non-resident, including governments
  • Real estate
  • An interest in a partnership that holds a specified foreign property unless the partnership is required to file a T1135
  • A life insurance policy issued by a foreign issuer
  • Other tangible and intangible (like patents or copyrights) properties located outside Canada

Specified foreign property does not include:

  • Property used or held exclusively in the course of carrying on an active business
  • Registered pension fund investments
  • Foreign investments held in Canadian registered mutual funds
  • Personal-use properties (cottages, paintings, jewelry, automobiles)
  • Shares of a foreign affiliate

Where do I report this?

Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2017 tax software to complete the T1135:

  1. On the PREPARE tab, click the REQUIRED icon.

  2. Navigate to the Special situations page. You’ll find yourself here: 


  3. Answer Yes to the question, At any time in 2017, did you own or hold specified foreign property with a total cost of more than $100,000 CAD?.

  4. When you arrive at the Foreign income verification statement page, enter your information into the tax software.
Was this article helpful?
169 out of 222 found this helpful