Did you suffer from an impairment in mental or physical functions in 2017?

If you suffered from an impairment in mental or physical functions in 2017, and your doctor has documented your physical or mental impairment and can provide information regarding the nature, start, and duration of your impairment, you will qualify for certain tax credits.

Note: The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) might ask for a signed statement from your doctor or nurse practitioner with the details mentioned above unless they already have an approved T2201: Disability Tax Credit Certificate on file.

Click here if you have dependants that suffer from a physical or mental impairment.

What is the disability tax credit (DTC) and how do I claim it?

The disability tax credit provides people with disabilities or their family some relief from the costs related to the disability by reducing tax payable.

You can claim the disability amount if the CRA has an approved T2201 certificate (or a TP-752.0.14-V certificate, if you're a resident of Québec) on file for you or for the person for whom you’re claiming the tax credit. Your doctor or nurse practitioner has to complete this form, certifying that you have a severe and prolonged impairment, and providing related details.


To claim the DTC for yourself in H&R Block’s tax software, follow these steps:

  1. Under the PREPARE tab, click the REQUIRED icon.

  2. Navigate to the Special situations page. You’ll find yourself here: 


  3. Select Yes to the question Did you suffer from an impairment in mental or physical functions in 2017? and respond to the subsequent related questions that show up.

Note: If you want to claim the DTC for a dependant, you must be named as the person who can claim the disability amount on the dependant’s approved T2201. Check out our article on Disability amount transferred from a dependant for more information. 

Where can I learn more?