If you or your spouse or common-law partner received fertility treatment in 2017 from a licensed medical practitioner or infertility treatment clinic in Manitoba, you might be able to claim the Manitoba Fertility Treatment Tax Credit, equal to 40% of the costs of treatment. You can claim up to $20,000 for a maximum of $8,000 per year. There’s no limit on the number of treatments you can claim, as long as the amount claimed isn’t more than the maximum yearly amount.
You can claim the Manitoba Fertility Treatment Tax Credit if:
- You’re a resident of Manitoba on December 31
- You or your spouse paid for fertility treatments in 2017 and
- The fertility treatment is given by a Manitoba licensed medical practitioner or fertility treatment clinic located in the province
Note: You can’t claim a credit for fertility treatments outside of Manitoba but you can claim any costs from follow-up treatments by a Manitoba physician.
What expenses can I claim?
Some examples of treatments that you can claim include:
- Ovulation Induction
- Therapeutic Donor Insemination (TDI)
- Hyperstimulation/Intrauterine Insemination (HS/IUI)
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
- Frozen Embryo Transfer
Keep in mind, this isn't a complete list of eligible treatments. Click here to see what expenses and treatments are eligible.
Note: You can only claim eligible expenses that weren’t reimbursed to you already (for example, by a private health care coverage). Either you or your spouse can claim this tax credit but it can’t be split between you both.
Where do I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block's 2017 tax software:
Before you begin, make sure you tell us that you lived in Manitoba on December 31, 2017.
- Under the PREPARE tab, click the MOST POPULAR icon. You'll find yourself here:
- Under the Credits section, select the checkbox labelled Medical expenses, then click Continue.
- When you arrive at the page for Medical expenses, enter your information into the field labelled Amount paid to a fertility clinic or licensed physician in Manitoba for infertility treatment services.