On December 31, 2017, did you and your spouse or common-law partner live in separate homes for medical reasons?

If you answer Yes to this question and you’re eligible to claim either the British Columbia Home Renovation Tax Credit for Seniors and Person with Disabilities, or the New Brunswick seniors’ home renovation tax credit, you and your spouse can both claim up to $10,000 in eligible expenses.

If you answer No to this question, you’ll still be able to claim the credit, except the expense amount that you and your spouse can claim can’t be more than $10,000 combined.

Expenses that are eligible for this credit include improvements to your principal residence or to the land where it’s located in order to:

  • provide easier access to your home or to increase your mobility both inside the home as well as on your property and
  • reduce the risk of harm to a senior within the home or on the property, or in gaining access to the home

For a complete list of eligible expenses that can be claimed, refer to the Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) website.

If someone that doesn’t live with you or is not related to you paid for the eligible improvements to your home, you can still claim this credit. You just have to make sure that you keep a copy of the supporting documents in case the CRA wants to see them at a later time.