Did your marital status change in 2017?

There are two benefits to keeping your marital status up to date with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or Revenu Québec:

  • It allows you to maximize any claims you’re entitled to receive
  • It helps to prevent any incorrect claims from being made that might result in you having to pay money back to the government.

A change in your marital status could impact any of the following credits or benefits:

  • GST/HST credit
  • Canada child benefit (CCB) and
  • Working income tax benefit (WITB)
  • Child assistance payments and (Revenu Québec)
  • Solidarity tax credit (Revenu Québec)

Why does my marital status matter in H&R Block’s software?

Your marital status determines some of the types of credits you’re eligible for, in your tax return. If your marital status changes, the CRA will recalculate your benefits based on, among other things, your revised net family income. If you typically receive these benefits from the government by direct deposit, it might also be a good idea to review the banking information the CRA has on file to avoid payments going into the wrong bank account. 

Once you’ve indicated your marital status* on the Your family page of H&R Block’s tax software, you cannot change your selection. For example, if you indicated that you were single on December 31, 2017 but later realized that the CRA considers you to be in a common-law relationship for tax purposes, you will have to start a new return.

*If you indicated that your marital status was singleseparateddivorced, or widowed, you won’t be able to change it once you’ve completed the GET STARTED section of your return. If you indicated that your marital status was married or common-law relationship, you won’t be able to change it once you complete the Preparing your returns page.

When do I have to report a change in my marital status?

Both the CRA and Revenu Québec require that you inform them of a change in your marital status by the end of the month following the month it changes, except in the case of a separation. For example, if your marital status changes in August 2017, you’ll have to let the CRA/Revenu Québec know no later than September 30, 2017. If you’re separated, you have to wait until the separation lasts for at least 90 days before letting the CRA/Revenu Québec know.

How do I let the CRA know my marital status has changed?

You can tell the CRA by:

  • Logging into the CRA’s My Account service and clicking the Change my marital status link under the Personal information tab:DIY17_Marital_status_change_EN.png

How do I let Revenu Québec know my marital status has changed?

Depending on the benefits you receive, there are different ways to contact Revenu Québec. For example, if you receive child assistance payments, you’ll need to contact Retraite Québec by calling 
1-800-667-9625. You can also use their Change in Conjugal Status form online.