The British Columbia Education Coaching Tax Credit is a $500 non-refundable credit for teachers and teaching assistants who coach students for at least 10 unpaid hours during the year. This tax credit can be claimed if you:
- Are a resident of British Columbia on December 31
- Are a paid teacher or teaching assistant working in a qualified school (such as public, francophone, independent, or First Nations schools)
- Carry out at least 10 hours of unpaid coaching or supervising for students during their extracurricular activities (such as sports, arts, and other activities as long as they are performed after school hours or on a weekend)
Note: Preschools don’t fall under the list of qualified schools.
Where can I claim this?
Follow these steps in H&R Block's 2017 tax software:
Before you begin, make sure that you told us that you lived in British Columbia on December 31, 2017.
- Under the PREPARE tab, click the REQUIRED icon.
- Navigate to the Special situations page. You’ll find yourself here:
- Select Yes to the question Are you a teacher or teaching assistant who coached students for at least 10 hours in 2017?.