You should select this option under the IN THIS SECTION icon of the PREPARE tab, if in 2017:
- You bought or sold investments (such as tax shelters, shares, securities, rental properties, and resources (like mining, oil, natural gas, etc.))
- You had investment income (such as interest, dividends, or royalties) and/or expenses (such as fees paid for legal advice)
- You sold or disposed of a home you designated as your principal residence* for some or all of the years that you owned it
This option also applies to you if you want to claim certain federal and provincial tax credits or deductions for your investments such as the:
- Investment tax credit for individuals
- Claim for tax shelter loss or deduction
- Non-capital losses
- Capital gains deduction on capital property and/or resource property
Note: You can also find the Principal residence designation (T2091(IND)/Schedule3) page on the REQUIRED page of the PREPARE tab.
Where can I learn more?
- Investment income (CRA website)
- Investments (Revenu Québec website)