Error code 162

You'll see the following error message in H&R Block’s 2017 tax software if, you moved to Canada during the year and didn’t enter your spouse’s or common-law partner’s net income while you were living outside of Canada:

You need to enter the net income your spouse earned while you were living outside Canada. If he/she had no income, enter 0. [error code: 162]

How do I fix this?

To correct the error, return to the Your spouse’s return page and enter your spouse’s net income for the period you were living outside Canada. If your spouse did not have any income, enter 0.

You will only see this error if you're a newcomer and moved to Canada in 2017 but your spouse was a resident of Canada and if you're filing your tax returns separately.

Note: You can find the Your spouse’s return page under the REQUIRED icon of the PREPARE tab.