With the Audit Protection Service, if your return is audited or reassessed by either the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or Revenu Québec, an H&R Block Tax Expert will review your tax return, help you make any required adjustments, and provide assistance with any correspondence to and from either agency, as needed.
The Audit Protection service will be a huge help to you if any of the following situations come up:
- you receive a notification that your tax return is under pre-assessment review, under processing review, or being reviewed under the matching or special assessment program
- amounts on your notice of assessment do not correspond to what you filed
- your tax return has been reassessed or
- your tax return is being audited
How does it work?
If one of the above situations applies to you, H&R Block will assign your file to an online Tax Expert who’ll provide you with technical support and personal attention while your return is investigated. Keep in mind, you might be required to fill out and sign a T1013 so that H&R Block can communicate with the CRA on your behalf (or a MR-69 form for Revenu Québec).
Note: The H&R Block Tax Expert that’s assigned to you will not represent you, provide legal advice, or help develop a defense strategy.
What if I want to purchase this service after I file my return?
You can purchase Audit Protection after you file your return by signing into H&R Block’s Online tax software and opening your completed and filed return. You’ll be prompted to buy Audit Protection and, once purchased, you’ll be provided with information on how to redeem it.
What do I need when I redeem Audit Protection?
Make sure you have all the following information handy when redeeming this service:
- Your Audit Protection confirmation number and the tax year it applies to (this will be emailed to you)
- Your NETFILE confirmation number
- Any correspondence from the CRA or Revenu Québec
- Your return and, if necessary, any prior returns
- All the documents you used to prepare your return
Important: This service expires one year from the date it’s purchased. Unfortunately, H&R Block will not provide a refund in the event this service expires without being used.